The History, Tradition and Legend of the El-Bo Inn
Have You Heard Of The El-Bo? Michiganders Have!
The El-Bo Inn is considered by many to be among the premier dining establishments of Northern Michigan. Known widely among locals, the El-Bo Inn is located in the heart of Elk Country off M-33 just 12 miles in between Onaway and Altanta, Michigan.
For over 80 years, this location has been considered a gathering place, convenient eatery, and home away from home for the generations of families who’ve come through our doors.
The El-Bo has also played host to countless visitors, sportsmen, and other outdoor enthusiasts who’ve come to enjoy the natural wonder of the surrounding area. The Inn is neighbors with the Canada Creek Ranch, a 13,000 acre private sportsman’s club whose own history dates back to 1934.
Straight across from us, you’ll find the state trail system known for snowmobiles, ATV’s, Side-by-sides, and many other trail riding off-road vehicles.
We’re also considered an outpost for motorists passing through and conveniently located next to the CCR Trading post so you can grab a bite to eat and refuel before getting back on the highway.
Dine With Us!
Our menu is a curation of classic American fare, offering everything from prime rib, hamburgers, fresh fish and seafood, including our white wine garlic muscles. Of course, we must mention our famous El-Bo Inn pizza and craft cocktails menus. We’re proud to say the El-Bo is rated # 1 Best American Restaurant on TripAdvisor and voted Top 50 bars in all of Michigan on M-Live.
The El-Bo is also available for private parties and events, with indoor seating capacity for over 109 people, with an additional beautiful dining space outdoors.
How The El-Bo Became The El-Bo
The El-Bo Inn has been a destination for so many families and generations all through Michigan and the world, but it’s only officially been called the El-Bo Inn since 1961. Legend has it that it was first named the Canada Creek Bar before it became Carl’s Store named after owner Carl Siegrist. Carl then later sold it to Glen and Jean Erity in 1944 and they named it Glen’s. It was then sold to Russ and Lea Hammond, who then eventually sold to Elsie and Bob Loewe in 1961. The Loewe’s named it the El-Bo Inn, El for Elsie and Bo for Bob. And that is where it began, and the legacy still continues.
Elsie and Bob owned the El-Bo Inn for 20 years when they sold it to Tom and Pam Jones in 1981. The Jone’s kept the name the same and they owned the El-Bo Inn for 25 years when they sold it to Malcom and Nancy Castle in 2006.
The Castle’s too kept the El-Bo Inn name and they enjoyed owning the El-Bo until 2011 when they sold it to Gil and Julie Old’s, and yes, they kept the name the same as well.
Gil and Julie owned the El-Bo Inn until 2016 when they sold it to Rob and Adele Temerowski. Rob and Adele, kept the name the same but also added the slogan “A Gathering Place” and they sold it to current owners Jeff and Tiffiny Kemske in 2020.
The Kemske’s are proud to be the latest owners of such a distinguished establishment. They are looking forward to continuing to serve amazing food, vibrant atmosphere, and celebrate the traditions that have come to be part of the fabric of Northern Michigan for over 80 years.
Come see us soon at the El-Bo Inn.